The Language Flagship is a national effort to change the way Americans learn languages. Since the program’s inception in 2000, the Language Flagship has supported a select group of pioneering academic institutions in their efforts to craft and implement innovative educational paradigms for students studying critical languages. Through an innovative partnership between the federal government, education, and business, this initiative seeks to graduate students who will take their place among the next generation of global professionals, commanding Superior fluency in critical languages and able to operate at the highest levels of business, government, and education worldwide. Arizona AFP at the University of Arizona is one of five elite Arabic Flagship Programs offered in the United States.
Today, the Language Flagship leads the nation in designing, supporting, and implementing a new paradigm for advanced language education for exemplary students pursuing language studies in Arabic, Chinese, Hindi & Urdu, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Swahili and Turkish. Graduates who obtain Language Flagship certification step into fields as diverse as their own interests, including economics, government service, biochemistry, architecture, law, political science, international business, and marketing.
Benefits to student participants include:
- Intensive language and cultural instruction on the University of Arizona campus.
- Short and long-term advanced language and cultural immersion overseas where students directly enroll in Arab universities.
- Scholarships that support language and culture immersion programs in the Arab world.
- Language immersion internships through public-private partnerships with international organizations and corporations.
- The opportunity to attain professional-level language proficiency alongside a non-language academic major of students’ choosing. Students receive Flagship certification upon completion of the program.